
“When a little black dress is right, there is nothing else to wear in its place.”
- Wallis Warfield Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
- Wallis Warfield Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
There is a time in every girl's life when she watches "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for the first time. It's almost like womanhood "clicks" and at that moment, she wants nothing more than to be the epitome of elegance, class and grace. Who else besides Audrey Hepburn in the 60's can walk around New York City, any city, at five o'clock in the morning in a little black dress, a crystal tiara, opera-length gloves and dripping in strands of opulent pearls (I'm sorry if I've totally lost you, men!).
Countless style icons have been remembered posthumously if only for the style of their little black dress. They say that the number one thing every woman should have in their wardrobe is none other but a Little Black Dress. Commonly referred to as the "LBD," this is one piece of fashion that is not a trend, but a timeless classic that has almost no rules... only endless possibilities.
Since that day I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with my oh-so-proper and fashionable mother, I have hopelessly pined for my own "LBD." I believed it to be a lot like love - when you know, you know. I had yet to make that encounter with the perfect LBD until I popped online one evening to J. Crew's website (for those of you who know me, this is no surprise that I visit this particular store). There it was. Little. Black. Silk Taffeta. On Sale. There were no words. I practically crawled into the other room to show my loving husband (who is the BEST listener). He's made all my little girlie fantasies come true - my first Tiffany's bracelet, a gourmet cheese grater, a diamond engagement ring. Let me rephrase - he knows when to take a hint.
I digress.
After a long day at work today, I walk up all 3 flights of horrible stairs - in heels - to find a glorious, brown J. Crew box with that comforting navy blue writing on the box. At that same moment my eyes set on my long lost love, my phone rings with my astute husband on the other line. "Don't open it until I get home" he says. OH! The infliction! Wait 10 minutes until he returns?! 10 dreadfully long minutes later, he FINALLY enters the scene of me clutching the box with my life. I throw my arms around him and give him a big kiss (poor sucker, he only wanted me to wait so he could get a big kiss) because I know that only good things can come out of that very brown box which was now flattened from my "dainty" (i.e. kung fu) grip. I couldn't wait. I opened the box and immediately felt the familiar crinkle of a glorious silk-taffeta dress, MY very own, very FIRST Little Black Dress.
Countless style icons have been remembered posthumously if only for the style of their little black dress. They say that the number one thing every woman should have in their wardrobe is none other but a Little Black Dress. Commonly referred to as the "LBD," this is one piece of fashion that is not a trend, but a timeless classic that has almost no rules... only endless possibilities.
Since that day I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with my oh-so-proper and fashionable mother, I have hopelessly pined for my own "LBD." I believed it to be a lot like love - when you know, you know. I had yet to make that encounter with the perfect LBD until I popped online one evening to J. Crew's website (for those of you who know me, this is no surprise that I visit this particular store). There it was. Little. Black. Silk Taffeta. On Sale. There were no words. I practically crawled into the other room to show my loving husband (who is the BEST listener). He's made all my little girlie fantasies come true - my first Tiffany's bracelet, a gourmet cheese grater, a diamond engagement ring. Let me rephrase - he knows when to take a hint.
I digress.
After a long day at work today, I walk up all 3 flights of horrible stairs - in heels - to find a glorious, brown J. Crew box with that comforting navy blue writing on the box. At that same moment my eyes set on my long lost love, my phone rings with my astute husband on the other line. "Don't open it until I get home" he says. OH! The infliction! Wait 10 minutes until he returns?! 10 dreadfully long minutes later, he FINALLY enters the scene of me clutching the box with my life. I throw my arms around him and give him a big kiss (poor sucker, he only wanted me to wait so he could get a big kiss) because I know that only good things can come out of that very brown box which was now flattened from my "dainty" (i.e. kung fu) grip. I couldn't wait. I opened the box and immediately felt the familiar crinkle of a glorious silk-taffeta dress, MY very own, very FIRST Little Black Dress.
No comments:
Post a Comment