Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Playing with Potatoes


Martha Stewart got the best of me tonight...

Back in January, my sister-in-law and I got tickets to go see Martha in New York City. Trying to get myself excited (like I needed any help), I fervently watched any and all episodes of Martha I could. One of the episodes had these stay-at-home-Mom's as guests who had their own business. The business was called "Sweet Potato Prints" and they made baby and children clothes using potato cut-outs and fabric paint to make the CUTEST little prints.

I quickly went online to see if I could order some of their items for the plethora of nieces and nephews I have only to find out how much they were charging... $20 for a stinkin' onsie!!!! I'm no mother or anything, but I'm pretty sure plain white onsies are some of the cheapest baby items you can buy (hey, isn't there a band called Plain White Onsies? Tees? Oh, ok... The Plain White Tees)! Anyway, in an effort to create my own crafty concoctions for less, I decided to do it myself.

$20 TOTAL in supplies later (yes, that includes the 10 Plain White Onsies), I have, well only 6 (I got tired and Bobby started yelling at me to come to bed) some very cute baby products to show for it. Now if only I could get my hands on some babies... Just kidding.

But seriously. They are totally fun to make!


...and you better not call my "Fish" design a Pac-man.

5 comments:

Andy & Candice Peterson said...

So cute! I'll take some off your hands in a few months!

Christina said...

NICE! You can totally make me some!! I actually really like the pink flower one and the peas in a pod. How did you do that with a potato??? If you figure out how to do a monogramed onies I will totally order a bunch from you... well, in 18 months when I get pregnant that is! :o)

The Wise Family said...

MELISSA! Wow! Go you! These are adorable and would have loved to have had these for my girls!! So cute and so creative. Love them!

Dad Wise said...

Melissa Girl - Mom and I love your design. My first Blog post so lets see how it works. Dad

Di said...

LOVE them :) I think you need to be an entrepreneur and open your own store!