One day, all the guys took a day trip up to Taupo to do manly things like mountain biking, ATV tours through the jungle and drinking beer by the lake with a healthy sampling of Fish and Chips. Since Amanda and I stayed back with the kids, we ventured out to a local petting zoo which was AWESOME. I've never been to a petting zoo before, but I'm pretty sure the US would never have anything like this. Chickens and {aggressive} ducks wandering about, baby lambs hiding out under picnic tables, Ostriches sticking their heads out of the fences to get your fingers... It was all fine, and that's what I love about other countries: people are responsible for themselves. If you don't want to get bit by an Ostrich or licked by a Llama, then stand back. Anyway, all of the boys had fun there... Andrew spent most of the time chasing the ducks and chickens around, while Ben thoroughly enjoyed feeding the animals copious amounts of corn. Camden just liked squealing with joy and kicking his legs when the animals came near him (I carried him in the Baby Bjorn).
Anyway, we spent the afternoon there, then headed back to the apartment for some lunch and a nice walk. We were both drinking wine promptly at 8:00 bedtime.
One of the next days, we all went separate ways and did our own things. Nick, Amanda and Joey took the two boys to a glow worm cave up near Rotorua while Bobby and I went back up to Taupo to hike one of the volcanos. We had intended to hike Mount Doom, but we missed the bus that took us up there. It turned out fine because Camden wanted nothing to do with being in his hiking carrier for long!
The drive to and from Taupo is incredible. I think that's why we went back so many times. It's a windy, country road with no shoulders, but the views are amazing. Like, breathtaking. The only problem is, there is nowhere to stop and take pictures! When we finally braved the road to stop, I just couldn't do the views justice with my camera. I cannot begin to tell you how beautiful this place is.
This guy was just too cute.
"Ello there. Can I taste your chin?"
This furry guy was a little intimidating. His neck was surprisingly long and nimble. I was worried he might snatch up Camden.
Feeding the Billy Goats.
"Lookin' Tasty."
Ben got to hold a guinea pig!
Seriously, these guys were vicious! Their heads could fit through the fence, so they had no problem exercising their neck length to reach your handful of corn.
Le petit vache goes "moo!" This is about the only animal name I remember in French, so I've been teaching it to Camden.
Help me, Rhonda. I almost took this baby home with me. I fed him all of my corn and he was a happy, little lamb. We even bought Cam a stuffed lamb to take home with him.
They had some strange birds, but this one was beautiful! It was hard to take pictures of them through the fence, but this one turned out the best.
It is true that sheep are everywhere in NZ. This field was across the fence from the zoo.
Ferdinand. Anyone else read that book as a kid?
This one I will never understand: New Zealand has Deer farms EVERYWHERE. I had never seen a deer up close, let alone have one run UP to me! This little "dear" was so sweet and looked just like Bambi!
Precious face.
I think the only picture of the three cousins together. Andrew took a break from chasing chickens to show Camden something. It was also sweltering hot and this was about the only shade.
Andrew chasing the little sheep. (Please note Lou Ferigno look-a-like in the background).
Back at the apartment. It's hard to believe that just 2 months ago, Cam was just starting to pull himself up on things. Now he's close to walking!
The apartment was amazing... on the top level was the kitchen and dining/living area. It was all windows that opened up to a wrap-around balcony. The fresh air felt so good blowing through. Divine.
Hiking up the volcano! I was already out of breath... but I couldn't help myself by singing "Climb Every Mountain" from Sound of Music all the way up!
Giggles... before they turned to anger.
The view! This is the same lake we took a sail on earlier in the trip.
I did such a poor job with the scale here, but do you see the sheep?!
We sang "Old Mac Donald Had A Farm" all the way down the mountain when Camden lost it at the top. It was the only thing keeping him from screaming his head off. Poor guy was just tired.
The windy road to Taupo and a few shots on the way back.
And a little video from the hike:






























No comments:
Post a Comment