Sunday, March 6, 2011

For the Birds

Birds are everywhere. They're totally "in." And no, Spring has nothing to do with these kinds of birds.

In the last 7 days, I've visited approximately 3 different Home Goods stores in the state of Maryland. My trips proved unsuccessful, though, as I walked out empty-handed all three times (Bobby is so thankful). I've been looking for finishing touches to Baby Barrick's nursery: an ottoman/foot stool for our rocker, a green bookshelf, or any other simply irresistible pieces that would just "complete the room." No luck. But I have noticed, that tons of decorating stores, like Home Goods, Pottery Barn, even West Elm and Crate & Barrel all have tons of "bird" accessories. I know this, because I pick up every piece of bird decorating as soon as I walk past it...knowing full well that I have PLENTY of bird accessories in the nursery. I'm trying not to over-do-it.

Regardless, the nursery is still a work in progress, although most of the way done! The last big projects are the Gallery Wall (waiting on 2 adorable paintings from Aisle to Aloha Studio, and a trip to IKEA for some frames), and a custom bookshelf, which Bobby is going to build as soon as the basement is finished.

To tide you over until the big reveal, I took some pictures of little pieces we've been putting together over the last week or so. I will be so happy once this is complete! I love seeing my vision come together for our little guy :)

(Sources for all items will have a link by the pictures.)

P.S. Bobby said I had to give up ETSY for lent. Shoot.

CHECK! Made the crib skirt using THIS tutorial. The fabric is actually a chevron print, but it didn't show up as I expected as the crib skirt. Humm... it's ok, will have other elements in the nursery using this fabric. Since, you know, I ordered WAY too much. The fabric can be ordered through HERE.

The Crib is actually from Wal-Mart, and I LOVE it. It was one of the only ones I could find that had a modern shape like this, within a good price point, low-VOC paint, non-collapsing sides, and made of hardwood. Bonus: it also turns into a toddler bed! I know I've mentioned it before, but the crib can be found HERE.


There is a story coming about this rocking chair. But I can't seem to finish it without crying! Pesky hormones... anyway, the chair is from my late Grandmother - MomMom Markel. We had it completely restored, and this piece and fabric was actually the central piece for the whole nursery vision. The chair was obviously not store bought, but the Fabric came from Calico Corners HERE (until March 26th, they are having 20% off all items!!!).

The wood stump you see next to the chair is actually a side table! I LOVE, love, love it, as it makes me feel like it came right out of the woods for a very rustic feel. I love the contrast of the rustic against the modern. The Stump side table is from West Elm and can be found HERE. I snagged it for a steal when they were having a sale a few weeks ago. WIN!

The rocking chair is called a "Gooseneck" Rocking Chair. And now you know why... they don't make things like this anymore. Thank you, PopPop, for sharing this heirloom. I love that I can tell baby where it came from :)


Ok. I die. I saw this mobile on Etsy and I dropped a major hint to my sisters that this would be a fabulous baby shower gift ;) They took the hint and my awesome sister-in-law (who blogs HERE about my adorable nieces) got it for me for my baby shower last weekend! I have been bugging Bobby all week to put it up, and today, he finally got around to it! I love the colorful birds (more BIRDS!!) and the rustic, little nest above them. This mobile and others like it can be found on Etsy HERE.

The mobile is hung near the ceiling fan, so when it's on, the mobile will spin on itself! Adorable, yes?!

I know you've seen this picture before, but there are some new elements added. First, you may notice the flag bunting/banner. I just made this last week and yes, it has the baby's name on it and YES, we will be putting this away when company comes over, and NO, we are not telling people Baby Barrick's name (Aunt Josie - you can guess all you want, but I'm not giving it up!). The banner I made myself out of burlap and some kind of hemp-looking rope, some fray check, puff-paint and fabric glue. It's going to be hung on the gallery wall whenever that goes up. Of course, you can always buy something like this on Etsy, but this project cost me a grand total of $7.35.

You will also notice the awesome lamp on the dresser (the dresser will be moving into the closet and will be replaced with a green bookshelf... to be built later). The lamp was also one of the original pieces that I saw for the nursery vision. My maiden name is "Wise" and I can remember my grandmother having all sorts of Owl memorabilia around her house. I wanted to include something that would nod to Baby's Mama's background. I found the lamp from West Elm as well, and 2 more of my awesome sisters bought it for me as a baby shower gift last weekend - thanks guys! The lamp can be found HERE.

The little birds nest holder to the right of the lamp will be holding blocks that spell out Baby's name. I don't have them yet, but I have my eye on THESE from Etsy as well (shocker?!). The birds nest holder came from Pottery Barn, which I can't find online. I bought it in-store a while back.


I know you've already seen these, but I seriously love them. They are one of my favorite parts about the nursery. I had them custom-made from THIS Etsy seller by just contacting her about making something like this.


Last weekend, my family and Bobby's family threw my a baby shower! It was so nice to see everyone, and they certainly did shower me and Baby Barrick with tons of goodies. I've spent all week washing clothes, blankets, towels, sheets, etc and today, have been putting everything away. It's amazing to think that in just a few short weeks, these clothes will be outfitting one adorable, little boy.


And yes... I've already started packing my hospital bag (which is also my diaper bag - Kate Spade - my only designer item. Seriously. I bought it for a STEAL on Black Friday...like 60% off). They don't have my pattern anymore, but they do have the same style bag HERE, just in different colors/patterns. I keep having these dreams that baby comes really early and I'm not prepared. Having clothes in the dresser and my bag packed has put my mind at ease for a while. Now I'm just anxious to meet him!


We should be posting another picture this week - 34 weeks on Tuesday! We forgot to take one this week. Oops! Ok, now off to do more baby growing!

11 comments:

The Wise Family said...

Can't wait to see it in person! Love the rocking chair, it turned out so beautifully!

laura blake said...

looks like its all coming together! and try landofnod.com or hayneedle.com for the shelf

Loris said...

I love the style and unique touches. The rocking chair is wonderful.

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I love your nursery! It's awesome.
The chair is beautiful!

Jill Hathaway said...

I really love that rocking chair! You've inspired me to buy a vintage one and recover it for our baby room! Thank you!!

Sylwia said...

You have a beautiful nursery! :)
I came to your blog via Design Sponge. The rocking chair is amazing, you did a great job!! I was really curious about how you fixed the springs in it!

The Barrick Times said...

Thank you ladies! I actually had the chair professional restored by Schoenbauer Furniture Restoration in Southern Maryland. They did excellent work and were able to repair the rocker WAY better than I would have done. Thanks for visiting from Design*Sponge!

Ashley said...

Hey! I saw your post on Design Sponge, so I clicked on your blog because I have that gooseneck chair, too. Congrats on the pregnancy! Love the nursery :) Here's my comment from Design Sponge:

Melissa, I inherited the same exact rocker from my aunt and reupholstered it just like you did. It’s exactly the same, just a different stain! The before is in this post: http://pregopoole.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/kylins-room/
And here is the after: http://pregopoole.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/10951_10100114619253943_5248463_56467475_1554975_n.jpg
I love what you did with it. So cool to see the same chair with a different look. I will always cherish this chair and can’t wait to give it to my kids when they become parents.

Chrissa said...

Melissa, I have to know about the dollhouse! I love it. Are you restoring it?

PS-I LOVE what you've done with the chair, and everything else!

The Barrick Times said...

Hey Design*Sponge visitors! Thanks for all your super sweet comments :) To answer some of your questions:
- Ashley - Your chair looks awesome and I can't believe you have the same one!! Any idea on when it was made? My Grandmother first used it in 1943 with my mother. But i have no idea if it was bought new or used back then!

- Chrissa! So happy you like the chair! I love it too :) The Doll House was actually made by my Grandfather BY HAND! He made one for each of my sisters and myself when we were about 6 or 7 and they are all different. It doesn't need restoring (I'm only 24 and I was very careful as a child!), but it does need to be set up and inhabited with some dollhouse furniture! I just had to rescue it from my parents house when I got married and moved out. You're the first one to say something!

Ashley said...

I don't know... The story she told me was it was their splurge item for the nursery of their first baby, which was '88, I think? But it very well could have been second-hand. I'll have to ask her!

P.S. That's hilarious that you gave up etsy for lent.