Thursday, March 31, 2011

Confidence

Holy moley. I'm having a baby (a baby!). As I now have less than 3 weeks left until D-Day, this reality is really soaking in for me. Although I've been dreaming about this time in my life since I was a little girl, I'm carrying around a mixed bag of emotions: excitement, anxiety, nervousness, peace, joy... I look over at my husband in times of emotional turmoil and immediately, he places his hand on my belly - our Peanut - and smiles. It puts me right at ease.

Almost every day, I think about the prayer we're going to pray when getting ready to deliver our baby. These are the only times I've cried throughout my entire pregnancy. I have to say, I am most looking forward to this prayer and putting my life and our baby's in His hands. Trusting Him wholly.

This has been one of the best experiences in my life so far. I absolutely love being pregnant, and while at this point I'd just really like to have this baby, I am cherishing and savoring every second. As a photographer, I take maternity pictures quite often and always said I would never have them taken if I were to get pregnant. However, as I photographed several pregnant women since I've been pregnant myself, I decided that it was something I really wanted to do to document this stage in my life. Yes, my body is WAY larger than I would normally be comfortable with, but there's a real, live baby in my belly. I've spent the past 9 months feeding him good, healthy food (my Lucky Charms don't count), not taking any medication to keep him as safe and healthy as possibly, and rubbing my belly reassuringly. I just knew I would kick myself down the road if I didn't artistically document this stage in our lives.

SO, we had some maternity pictures taken. I wanted some that were more intimate and of course, some of Bobby and I together. Think what you want, but I've never been this comfortable with my body and I probably never will be. It never ceases to amaze me what a miracle it is that women are able to bear and birth children. Our bodies were made to do this, and from everything I've read, both in the bible and in our birthing class, our bodies know exactly what to do. I am merely a vessel for this sweet, growing life.

Thank you to Megan Beth, my friend, mentor and fabulous photographer, who took these pictures for us a few weekends ago. You are incredible! These are just a few of my favorites.









3 comments:

Holly @ Everydays a Holly-Day said...

Melissa,
The pictures are amazing! You both look so excited, congrats!

Laura said...

Wow I love the one of you sitting in the rocker! Its so awesome to remember the days when we were running around the church as children and now you're getting ready to HAVE one!! I'm so excited for you two =) And PS Cindy and I LOVE the nursery what a great job!

Fohner Family said...

You look stunning. I love the pics in that beautiful sheer dress!

You're gonna do awesome. Bradley Method mommas are so well prepared. Honestly, I'm kinda jealous that you're so close to delivering. I can't wait to be pregnant again & use Bradley again to get us through. Birth without meds is totally doable...labor wasn't even the worst pain I've experienced in my life b/c you get a break between contractions. I was sleeping between them even when I was 9.5 cm.

So excited for you guys!