Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dear Baby

Dear Baby,

Only 5 weeks left until we get to meet you! Daddy and I just can't wait. We watch your acrobatics every morning and every night, and dream of what you might be like one day. Perhaps a soccer player like Daddy? Maybe a swimmer like Mommy? Either way, we know you'll be full of your own personality.

Every time I feel you kick, I say a little prayer for you. Jesus knows you even better than I do, and I pray that you will always know him, too, and look to him for all of your needs. When you can't shake those bad dreams, to take away the hurt when you skin your knee, to give you patience and strength when that bully pushes you around, to give thanks when you win your first baseball game, to give you self-control when you kiss your first girlfriend or attend your first party, to give you wisdom when you make life-choices in college, to give you peace in difficult situations, and to give you happiness on your wedding day.

The world is a scary and mean place, Peanut, and I always want you to know and understand why you were put here on this earth. People will be mean to you and to others, but I want you to love everyone no matter what. Some people you meet along the way in your life will seem lost and hopeless. I want you to tell them about Jesus and offer them some light and hope in an otherwise dark and sad world. Dear Baby, you are already a bright light to your Daddy and me. I just know that you'll be a light to this world, too.

Sometimes (ok, a lot of times) I get nervous about becoming your Mama. Will I sing you enough songs? Will I be able to give you enough nutrients to help you grow big and strong and hit lots of home runs? (Daddy already says that you're going to be the best short stop the Orioles have ever seen - look out Cal!) I worry that I will get frustrated when we're up in the middle of the night with not much sleep. I worry that people will judge me if I don't do something right to take care of you. I worry that I will be short with Daddy when I get run down. But these are my mental shortcomings, sweet Little, and I know that God will be watching us and giving us everything we need, both physically and emotionally.

We have lots of fun things for you when you arrive! Killian has already signed up to be your bunk mate. He likes your crib, even though we tell him that he has "bottom bunk." All of our friends and family have given you lots of toys and clothes for you to play with and wear. Daddy even grew some extra grass in the back yard so he'll have more room to play "catch" with you when you're older. I, for one, can't wait to take you swimming in the summertime. I hope that you'll have lots of fun and good memories here.

Daddy and I don't want you to have an ordinary life. We weren't made to be comfortable or sit still. We want you to try new things, make mistakes, be wise to the world, love others unconditionally, travel the world, and find out what you were put here on this earth to do. You will be different from others in this world, but I know that you will own it and take every opportunity that difference gives you.

Dear Baby, we just can't wait to meet you. Keep cooking in there, and I know you'll come out whenever you're ready and want to meet us, too.

All the love in the world,

Mama and Daddy

Here's what you look like at 35 weeks! Only 5 more weeks left to go!


4 comments:

Mrs. McGowan said...

What a beautiful letter, I'm sitting here crying. Your sweet boy I know is already beyond blessed to have parents who love Jesus and him the way that you do!

Caroline said...

You look BEAUTIFUL!

Jessica M. said...

You look so beautiful!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Congrats- you look fabulous! :)

Steph