On Friday, I drove up to have lunch with my Mom and sister and afterward, ran over to my parents house to take some pictures of things I remembered most about it.
I grew up in Chartwell, the famed Golf Course. Although our house wasn't overlooking the greens, I can still remember my Dad dragging my sister and I up there on snow days so we could sled down the enormous hills. We had matching hot pink snow suits which were a hideous sight, but for some reason, Christina could always look cool in hers. I just looked like the kid from "The Christmas Story," to the likeness of a swollen tick. Tragic. Anyway, driving past the golf course at this point was just so pretty. And I never remember that brick bridge being there before....

I picked up my two nephews and dragged them on a walk with me. Reluctantly, they walked all the way up to Kinder Park (which is only a block of two away) with me so I could take one picture. I remember so much about Kinder Park as it was always central to my childhood sports. I'm sorry, SPORT. I used to Cheerlead for the Mighty Green Hornets Football team, the 140 pounders. So many a FREEZING cold night, I would sit there swooning over the older guys in their studly uniforms. OH, to this day I love the sight of a football player! Another sport I did was chasing boys. In middle school, I was sure good at it, too! I think Kinder Park was a playground for all Middle School girls to play that sport :)
This sidewalk (although recently re-paved) has many memories for me as well. We lived just down the street from Benfield School, so my sister and I were able to walk to school every day. However, once Christina got to middle school, I made my poor Mother drive me because I didn't like to walk in the cold. Spoiled, much?! Anyway, I DO remember walking to both Elementary and Middle school down this sidewalk. I used to fret on my way home because they used to call us "walkers." I deserted it for about a year to take another longer walking route to school just so I could walk with a cute boy down the street. I came back to it last year when I picked up my oldest Nephew from school where he has the same teacher I had in 3rd grade. All of my older siblings walked this same path to school every day and looking back, that's just pretty cool!
The BEST part about Chartwell are the trees. The trees never cease to amaze me with their splendid height. What a beautiful shelter that was provided to us all growing up. The vast canopy that hangs over all of Severna Park will forever be ingrained in my memory. Mind you, I am not laying on the ground for this shot. It's just incredible. (My 2 nephews are in front of me in the road there. They look like little ants compared to the trees!)

Somewhat unrelated to Severna Park, behold: Adam's Bike. This thing has been run into the ground (please note the duct tape). The boy could care less. He rides that thing like he's chasing Superman. And I'm sure if you'd ask him, he'd tell you that HE is Superman.
Anyways, when I got to High School, Severna Park kind of took the back seat to Annapolis as I began my high school career there. But the best part about driving home after visiting Severna Park now, is driving through Annapolis. I managed to hit it just as the sun was setting. I think God knew I was coming with my camera because he sure put on a show for me that evening!
I spent many a high school days under the Naval Academy Bridge. There's now a beautiful restaurant there, but it used to be just a park and some old, deserted piers. I used to sit and contemplate life or my future here and take in the glory of the sky and the calmness of the river. I haven't been back there in about 5 years, but it was reassuring to see that it hadn't changed a whole lot...especially the view. Amazing, huh?
I never really visited the World War 2 Memorial just before crossing over the bridge, but I thought I'd stop and check it out. It has a great view of the Severn River and the Naval Academy, just over the bridge. Did I mention how beautiful the sky was that night!?

The WW2 Memorial. The view from the top is the picture above.
Being down here in "the South" has made me realize the importance of having "roots." I think that's one of the things I love about being down here. Even if you have to uproot for a little while, never take for granted the memories of your childhood as they make up your roots.
2 comments:
These look AMAZING! I can't tell you how much I like the long sidewalk to Benfield... LOTS of walks down that road to school everyday. The view you got was almost what I imagine mom seeing, because she could watch us get to school safely, the whole way, one straight shot! Also, Neil proposed to April at that memorial... maybe she'd like an artistic picture of it as a gift?
I love these pictures...makes me miss MD! I just realized that I totally stole this post name in my last post!
Post a Comment