Sunday, November 16, 2008

You're In The Hills, Now!

You know that pretty picture I showed you before we left of the nice mountains and view? Ok good. Now just erase it from your brain, because we see anything like that. We did, however, have a VERY relaxing weekend in the hills of Virginia at Lydia Mountain Cabins, which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone. Nicer than most hotels I've been in, it was so new and clean, it impressed the socks off me and Bobby!

Our only good view from our cabin. Of course, on the day that we left.
See anything? Nope? Ok, good... because we didn't either. The entire mountain was completely covered in fog. So much for Skyline Drive.
We went to visit Montpelier, the famous home of James Madison. Beautiful. The last time I did a house tour, I was probably in 3rd grade and I certainly didn't appreciate it then. The architecture, the history, everything was so fascinating. You can find some more pictures of the grounds on my Photo Blog.


We then headed to downtown Charlottesville (Home of Dave Matthews) for a nice steak dinner.

On Sunday we packed up our stuff and headed out towards one of Virginia's most acclaimed vineyards, Barbousville. There's actually a lot of history here which was really interesting. The home was built for Governer Barbour and his family by Thomas Jefferson (who were good friends) but burned down in 1884. The house had all rectangular-shaped rooms except one, which was octagonal. Because of this trademark (common to many of Jefferson's archetectural designs) the vineyard's signature wine is called "Octagon" and costs as much as your first born child. Just kidding... but seriously. Lots of good wine to be tasted... We came home with a few bottles to enjoy!

They had a nice, big fire in that fireplace behind me... very Italian feeling.
We took a tour through the winery, which was so cool... learned a lot about wine!
Anyway, we're back home now... needless to say, it was a much needed get-away before the whole Holiday Season starts!

No comments: