Monday, June 1, 2009

Should-a been a Pilot

Do you know what you're going to be when you grow up? I don't. Ask any adult and they probably still don't know.
I proposed that question to my almost-10-year-old nephew over Memorial Day weekend when he came to see the Pax River Air Expo with Bobby and I. He couldn't answer my question, but he did tell me to stop asking him to be a pilot. He would be a total chick-magnet in aviators (he's going to be a total chick-magnet anyway!).

We had TONS of fun at the air show! My inner nerd totally exposed itself and if you think that's bad...you should have seen my Dad and Bobby - both engineers. I've never heard so many acronyms and technical terms in my life. At the air show, they had displays of several military helicopters and airplanes currently in use (and some retired) by the Navy, "Chair" Force, Army and the "Men's Department" (as they like to call it) Marines. (Disclaimer: I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the military, so just ignore any errors you may see or have the urge to correct. Ignorance is bliss, I tell you, and it makes me feel better about myself! )

Anyway, it was a total blast. We have very defined farmers tans to prove it (and some of us --->Bobby<--- have racoon-eyes). A week later, I was totally flabbergasted that I was able to capture some of the air stunts on camera. I've posted most of these pictures over on my photo blog, but if you haven't been there to check them out, here are some of the same ones and a few more! Enjoy!

See?? He totally fits the bill as a pilot.
Future Pilot


This is Fat Albert. It's the maintenance plane that flies with the Blue Angels. The plane was about as big as a commercial airplane, but was able to do ccrrraazzzyyy things that a commercial airplane should never do. Like nose-dives.
"Fat Albert"


Have you ever seen a school bus travel at 300 mph? Correction: Have you ever seen a school bus with a jet mounted on the back? My nephews asked me where they had to go to school to ride this kind of bus.
Riding on a Jet Bus


This turned out to be my favorite picture of the day. It was a WWII bomber plane that was similar to the ones used to bomb Japan. I added some actions to it to make it look "period-appropriate." It makes me feel all patriotic when I look at it.
Remembering


$20 says you can guess the song they played when this poor guy jumped out of the airplane. Yes... "Proud to be an American."
Para - Shoot!


This plane's wingspan was HUGE!
Hover

Here is Adam under the belly of the plane. He could fit between the tires!!! This plane was ginormous.

Humming the theme from "Hell's Angels" for this one. "Clouds!!!! I need CLOUDS!!!" (Name that movie).
Tandem


Mmm.... Pilots. Actually, they just look like pilots. But they are really the maintenance crew for the Blue Angels. I told Jacob that could be him in 20 years. He told me to pipe down and then he gave me the stink eye. Just kidding. He did tell me to pipe down though.
Flight Crew


Here's my toothless nephew, Adam. I love this kid. He wasn't particularly concerned with the airplanes buzzing around in the background, but when he asked Uncle Bobby why the planes were so loud, Uncle Bobby responded with, "'Cause they make the sound of freedom! HOO-RAH!!"
Air Play


The Blue Angels!!! I love watching them fly. Oh, the precision! It made me want to go watch Top Gun and burst into song with "Hiiiiwaaayyy to the Danger Zone..." Oh wait, I did burst into song. Then Bobby and Jacob BOTH turned around and gave me the stink eye.
Unison


Please ignore the creepy mannequin snorkeler-man propped up next to the boys. I told them to pretend they were flying over the ocean and jump out of the helicopter, but they wouldn't go for it.

The end! If you haven't looked already, check out my photo blog or my FLICKR for more pictures!
Now, I'm giving you orders to go home, put on your aviator sunglasses and watch Top Gun. It will make your day THAT much better.



2 comments:

Lauren said...

Haha...it's very easy! Find a seamless pattern that you like and copy the image location. I found some cute ones just by searching for them at photo bucket, but they seem to be pretty hit or miss.

Anyway, once you find an pattern you like and copy the image location go into the edit html option in your blog and scroll down to the lines that looks like this:

background-image:url(http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/SpringH/seamless-pattern-blue.jpg);
background-repeat:repeat;
background-position:120% 10%;
background-attachment: scroll;}

In that first part, copy the image location in the parentheses, and make sure that the line below it says repeat. Always preview before you save the html and I would save a copy of the original html in case something goes wrong.

And ta-dah! Prepare to spend many hours messing with this!

Lauren said...

Cute!!!