Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Memory

I put the blanket up to my nose as soon as I opened the bag. It smelled just like my childhood home. Immediately, a thousand memories flooded my mind as I closed my eyes... like a movie put on rewind.

First I saw my parents, dancing in the kitchen as they sometimes would when my Dad got home from work. Then I smelled my Mom's perfume that she'd wear when my parents would go out on a date or somewhere fancy. I saw my childhood bedroom - always messy - with my dollhouse that my amazing grandfather built for me. Hours I spent in that room with the dollhouse, rearranging the furniture until it was just right. I saw flashes of my old cat, Tiger, who stuck with me through boyfriends, breakups, and being grounded (which rarely happened - I was a very well-behaved child!).

When I opened my eyes again, I looked down at my belly. No longer was I a child, but I was instead with child. Waiting. Waiting to start new memories with my loving husband and new baby. Our new family of three. I gave my belly a pat, said a prayer, and admired the blanket.

She knit it with her two hands. My sweet mother of five children. Her hands bathed each one of us. They patted us on the back to soothe us to sleep. They cooked us dinner every night without fail. They drove us to countless swim meets and up to spend time with our grandparents. Those hands belong to my mother, who taught me everything I know about being one myself.

And now, because of her two hands, I have a blanket full of memories to share with my son. And a lifetime to create new ones.

I may have gone a little crazy... but here are some more of those 800 pictures I took earlier this week.



Starting to smile!

Yup. He's got 10 toes, alright.


I love this face. That chin?? Help me, Rhonda.






Cloth diaper love. Get a load of that bum! (Hah, pun not intended!)


My grandmother knit this bonnet for Baby Cam. There's a matching sweater, but it doesn't fit yet. I love this classic bonnet! Thanks MomMom!





Baby rolls... yum.


This baby loves to kick. Thanks Aunt Christina for the adorable diaper bloomers :)


2 comments:

A Very Berry Blog said...

oh my, he is positively precious!!!!! just adorable, and I love this post. so well written. :)

The Barrick Times said...

Thanks Christine! And wow... I so enjoyed reading your birth story and experience! These little boys are such loves, are they not?!