Monday, April 18, 2011

40 Weeks!


Why yes! I'm still here...pregnant. With child. Knocked up. Smuggling a watermelon. Whatever clever or witty phrase you can come up with to say or mean "still pregnant."

Going to work was the worst today. Everyone who passed by my desk asked me "Oh, you're still here?!" or "I wasn't expecting to see you today!" And for the record, it's not all that encouraging to tell me that your wife's baby arrived 2 weeks late. Take a good look at my swollen feet (which, by the way, have outgrown even my largest shoes) before you say things like that to me, mmmk??

So yes, 40 weeks and still going. No signs of labor yet. I think our sweet Little is just happy as can be in there. I don't blame him. It's supposed to rain for the next few days... I wouldn't want to come in to a thunderstorm either!

My one sister has called me every day for a week, just to make sure I'm not in labor yet. My Mom writes me e-mails once or twice a week with the words of the hymns she used to sing to us as kids (which I haven't been able to remember the words to). My other sister and I e-mail back and forth every day, exchanging ideas about child-reading (she only has 2 months left until HER little guy gets here!). Every time Bobby calls his parents, I can hear his Dad yelling, "Is she in labor?!?! We're on our way!!!!"

The most encouraging thing so far as been a bible verse that my Mom shared. She said she used to recite this to herself every pregnancy (she had 5 kids):

"You will keep in perfect peace
those whose trust in You,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" - Isaiah 26:3

I'm finding it extremely difficult to find peace when I have trouble sleeping, or when I get anxious about not knowing WHEN this little baby is going to arrive. I have to throw my hands up daily in submission to Christ and His will and just trust that He knows what He's doing.

You'll have to excuse my outfit here...and my hair. I have no explanation other than that I'm 40 weeks pregnant and I. just. don't. care.

Have a great week everyone!

If you want to follow Bobby and I real-time, follow us on Twitter: @MelissaBarrick or @RGBarrick. I'm sure one of us will be updating when we're en route to the hospital and when Baby Barrick arrives!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow you still look more amazing then my normal apparel everyday...haha its a very cute outfit! I love that verse, what a great reminder =)

Natalie said...

You are such a cute mommie-to-be! Labor will come soon enough, just enjoy these moments before the baby arrives! Sending a big hug your way!