Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Wise's Take Thanksgiving




I woke up in my old bed, in my old room, with my groggy husband beside me. My nephews trophies were scattered about and multiplication charts hung from the walls instead of my beautiful Jack Vettriano. But it hasn't been my room in almost three years.

Familiar smells floated upstairs as Mom already had the turkey in the oven. I had stayed up until 3am the morning before to decorate gingerbread cookies with my oldest sister. I still had some icing stuck under my fingernails. This is the way it always was in the Wise house. Everyone was buzzing with excitement in anticipation of the crowd we would receive later on that day. The sound of little giggles and teasing were contained in the porch, although it's a difficult thing to contain the laughter of seven children! Dad was in the kitchen fighting with the coffee machine while Bobby and I plopped down at the kitchen table like little kids waiting for breakfast. Without hesitation, Mom sat a big bowl of cereal in front of us. Happily fed, both Bobby and I were clean-plate-clubbers and we just sat around and listened to my nieces and nephews make-believe stories in the next room over.

A thick fog hung over Severna Park that morning, and although it looked cold out, it was actually quite pleasant. Uncle Bennett organized a baton-toss relay game in the back yard for the kids. The adults moseyed outside to watch and swarmed the kids with cameras. There was some serious competition going on, and after the games were complete, each team lined up and slapped hands while exchanging a "good game." They are such good sports. Grandma Wise had some hand-drawn awards (compliments of Aunt Jen) to give out to all the kids for their efforts... "Most Team Spirit," "Best Encourager," "Most Creative Runner..." They were happy for the rest of the day.

It was finally time for dinner. I filled my plate with turkey and left room for little else, except my Mama's Corn Pudding. The crowd didn't stay too long after that, but all of us siblings made plans to meet up again at 12:00 Midnight at Arundel Mills mall for some early (TOO early) Black Friday shopping! I had to resist the long line at Starbucks, so coffee-less, the Wise's took on the Mall! And then we slept. And ate some more.

Saturday, we came home - to OUR home - and Bobby worked on the deck all day and made some amazing progress! They are about 50% finished... another 2 weekends and it should be complete!

I love this time of year as it makes us reflect on our lives and be thankful for everything we have. I've already broken out the Christmas music and decorations! I hope that all of you had a nice Thanksgiving and look forward to the Christmas season!




Dad can always be found - without fail - with at least two cameras in his hands.



Uncle Bennett was in charge of the games.



Oh Neilson, how competitive of you.



Grandma handing out "major awards!"



Their outfits reminded me of candy corn... what a group!





Bobby and his deck! It still needs stairs, railings, and the top boards.



I'm already visualizing what things I'm going to put on here!

1 comment:

Andy & Candice Peterson said...

Those are great pics, cherish the one of your dad, we can see where you get your talent from!! Also the deck looks great!! Go Bobby!!