
I twisted my ankle last night. No exciting story, I'm afraid. Just fell down the steps in a fleeting moment of grace, pouring my giant cup of ice water on myself in the process.
As I sit idly here on the couch, I'm realizing how much we trust in The Lord and don't even realize it. Thankfully, my twisted ankle is just a sprain (thanks to my hospital visit this morning). While it really hurts to walk or move it, what would we have done if I had broken it? What would happen if something much worse would have happened that would have required a hospital trip? We have two small kids slumbering upstairs, completely incapable of being left alone without an adult. Obviously, we have awesome neighbors, and of course there is the ambulance if we so required it. But we didn't. And so many other families with young children don't need that intervention either.
I am home all day long with both kids by myself. Most of my neighbors work, and Bobby's commute home is about 30 minutes. What would happen if I went unconscious or became unable to drive or take care of the kids in some way if I had gotten hurt? But it doesn't happen. Every day, we are afforded more and more mercies. Spared from the hardship of worry or an actual emergency.
Now, I realize that not every family is so fortunate. Every night, we pray for families who need extra help and, in short, a miracle. But that fact alone makes me appreciate the Lord's provision for us all the more.
I cannot waste my days worrying about what might happen or shielding my family from any bad thing that may come our way. We are put in the world to live in it, spreading the word of God in any way we can, wether by action or with words. But worrying about what tomorrow may bring is a sin, and also a very heavy burden that we're not intended to bear.
"Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:34
So tonight, I'm thankful for Gods provision for us, and that he's released me from the burden of worrying about what MIGHT happen. I am fully aware now that I can trust Him with our lives (and my ankle) and know that he will take care of it all. Somehow.
A hymn that's been on my heart (and on Camden's song) over the last 6 months is one of my all time favorite. Read the first verse and be contented if you trust in The Lord.
"When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still, And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there’s no other wayTo be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies, But His smile quickly drives it away;Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear, Can abide while we trust and obey.
Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share, But our toil He doth richly repay;Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross, But is blessed if we trust and obey.
But we never can prove the delights of His love Until all on the altar we lay; For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows, Are for them who will trust and obey.
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet Or we’ll walk by His side in the way. What He says we will do, where He sends we will go; Never fear, only trust and obey."
2 comments:
Thanks Melissa! This is so wonderfully written and something I needed to be reminded of. Hope you ankle heals very soon!
Glad it was nothing more than a sprain! And Matthew 6:34 is my all time favorite Bible verse :)
Post a Comment