Dear Camden,
Eighteen months ago, you were a glimmer in Daddy's and my eye. We spent countless hours talking about you, planning for your arrival, and dreaming of what you'd be like when you got older... We listened to your very heartbeat at every doctor's appointment with our breath held, making sure everything was just fine. We worried about what kind of parents we'd be to you, and how we could be the best and give you everything we possibly could.
When you arrived, our worlds ended and new ones came about. Before, it was just Daddy and Me. Now, it was the "three of us." How thrilled we were, and how perfectly you fit right into our lives. Even Killian was happy that you were here... that is, until you started to move about! Your newborn days were precious, and we spent every minute we could just staring at you, studying every finger, squishing every cheek, kissing every toe, and holding you so very close.
I dreamed for May 3rd, 2011 to come my entire life. I will admit that I was nervous. How would we raise you to love Jesus and to know His goodness and kindness in such a world full of sin? How could we protect you from our own sin? I will not remind you of this when you are a teenager, but Mama and Daddy are poor sinners, too. We all make mistakes, but thankfully love - HIS love - gives us hope that those mistakes will not do us in. Now after eighteen months of being your Mama, I can find more comfort in that than ever before.
You are cute as can be, and so SO smart. But darling, when you flush your Thomas the Tank train down the toilet so it gets stuck, or when you scale my pantry shelves to get to the chocolate, I need to call on Jesus for some patience. You are learning, too, and it's our job to teach you things that are right and wrong. I must say, that I never thought I'd have to teach anyone NOT to eat the week-old crumbs from under the dining table!
My little sunshine, you are most certainly our Light. Although sometimes you are far too busy to give us a hug or a kiss, the lovin' you do give out is cherished endlessly. We know that you love the moment Dada walks through the door from work, or that there are times when all you need is your Mama. We so enjoy watching you grow and learn, from the minute you wake up and ask for your "mulk" (milk), to the minute your tired - but still watching - eyes hit the pillow at night. Our Cup overflows with love and joy.
At eighteen months, you are the busiest little boy. Lover of hiding in homemade tents, flashlights, "Meow" (Killian Kitty), lawnmowers in the grass, bath time, vacuums and singing, you never stop exploring and learning. Although you never sit still long enough to read a book, somehow, you speak and repeat like you were born to talk! I never thought hearing you say (or at least attempt to say) words would be such a sweet sound to my ears. I just keep waiting for the day you will say "I love you, Mama."
Dada and I love you beyond any measure. And these last eighteen months have been the best we've ever known. What was life without you, my Sweet? With a new baby sister on the way, I can only imagine what a fun and creative big brother you will turn out to be! Love Jesus, my dear, and hold Mama's songs close to your heart. Love EVERYBODY. Be kind, strong, and keep your curious spirit. Do not be discouraged by the darkness in this world, but instead bring light to it by sharing the joy you already have in your happy, little heart.
Happy 18 Months, Sweet Little "Can-Nin" (what you call yourself). We love you,
Mama & Dada
Killian and Mr. Turtle, too :)






No comments:
Post a Comment