Tuesday, October 2, 2012

It's a... GIRL!

We were escorted into a dark and quiet room. Camden at my side with an apple slice in each hand, and Bobby a step behind me. Candles all around, and soothing music filled the air. I saw the giant bed, and large sonogram machine right beside it. Bobby took his place in the comfortable couch next to the bed to get his first look at our second child. I always love watching his face at moments like this... moments that we will remember for all of our lives. Camden's birth was one of them. But now, we get to see our new baby, Camden's first sibling. 

A messy squirt of the warm jelly (sounds good, right?) was slathered over my burgeoning baby bump, and with a soft prod of the sonogram wand, our sweet, tiny baby was up on the screen. Magic. It always amazes me and never grows old. We explained to Camden, "Look! A new baby in Mama's tummy!" He climbs up next to me (apple slices still in hand) and puts his head on my belly... dipping his hair in the nice, warm jelly. Awesome. 

We had just eaten lunch in the car on the way up. I was pretty tired, as I always am right after lunch, and so was our sweet Little. It wasn't moving much, so we poked and rolled over from side to side... trying to get the baby to open his or her legs! After all, today was the day we were going to find out if that little baby was a boy or a girl. 

After some time, the baby was finally cooperating. I didn't think much of why it was taking so long for the sonogram technician to find the very important anatomy! I was just enjoying the show. Camden was babbling off about something, when the lady announced: 

"You can share your apple slices soon with your new baby... SISTER!" 


What?! This surprise was just as unexpected as finding out we were pregnant! A girl?! Bobby's family doesn't make girls! I always just assumed we would have another boy. But a girl?! All of a sudden, I got choked up and began to cry. I had always prayed for a girl... someone to give my doll house to, play American Girls and Barbie's with, go shopping with... and the Lord has answered my prayers. 

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." - 1 Samuel 1:27

We are feeling richly blessed around the Barrick House these days. Although we still have a ways to go, I know the time will fly by. Preparations will begin soon, but for now, we are relishing that fact that we will add a sweet baby GIRL to complete our family of FOUR. Thank you, Lord. 

Here are some pictures we got back from the sonogram. 

Proof!





1 comment:

Elise Torske said...

I am so happy for you! I too pray that one day I will have a little girl to do all of that with. I can't wait to watch your family grow with the amazing talent of photography that you have. My heart is bursting with happiness! Congrats mama, congrats!