After cleaning out my parents basement of my childhood things, I came across one of my old diaries. I guess I was always meant to be a blogger... regardless, it had a Christmas list dated September 14, 1992. There are two things humorous about this date. First, I was already drafing my Christmas list 3 months before my parents would even start to think about Christmas (my Mom disappeared for a week straight every year right before Christmas to finish her shopping). Secondly, I was almost 6 and a half years old (2nd grade?) and already wanted baking supplies. Here goes:
- NKOTB tape (NKOTB translation: New Kids on the Block)
- Flannel shirt
- Pink Bathrobe with "Minny" Mouse on the pocket
- Radio alarm clock
- A bag of candy
- Molly's glasses (from American Girl dolls)
- Easy Bake Oven with brownie kits
- Oven mits for Easy Bake Oven
- Glow in the dark star stickers to put on my bedroom "seeling" (ceiling)
- Strawberry Astronaut Ice Cream
- Edible Bubbles
- Movies
- A TV for my room
- Computer game for "Where in the World is Carmen Sam Deego" (I was an excellent speller)
- April's Yellow and Purple bikini (that poor bathing suit was so ugly. Gotta love the 80's!)
- SPY swim meet bathing suit
- SPY bag
And that concludes the list. I'm actually surprised that this list was still housed in the diary, since I remember promptly taking my long and detailed Christmas list and hanging it on the refrigerator after drafting it. Maybe I created a new one.
On a side note: I was a strange kid. My family still teases me about wearing Stirrup pants (unfortunately, there is proof that I wore them...along with a "Minny" Mouse sweatshirt), and what 6 year old girl asks for Astronaut ice cream?!
Moving on... my list has changed a bit, and while my kitchen gadget requirements have changed a bit, they still make the list. My poor husband. Trying to finish decorating a new house AND preparing for a new baby does not a happy bank card make! I just like to call it "nesting."
And now for the list (and of these would make great gifts!):
This wreath is to-die-for. If only I could hang it outside on my front door... Embellished with a bright red bow, I think this would look ah-mazing hung in any house for Christmas! (SOURCE).
For the chef or baker in the family: a microplane grater. I've been eyeing these for years now. Every time I grumble when I have to pull out my huge cheese grater just to shave some chocolate or zest and orange. Would be great for topping off Holiday coffee with some fresh nutmeg! (SOURCE).
I cheated and bought this for myself already, but this would be fabulous for the baker on your list! I've never seen a cookie-cutter like this before and for the $1.25 price tag, this would make for a perfect stocking stuffer (perhaps before Christmas to encourage some candy-shaped cookies!). (SOURCE).
For Him:
I bought these shoes for Bobby for our winter photo shoot (you'll see on our Christmas cards!) and he's worn them several times before and after. Every time he wears them, people swoon. I take full credit for these since I found them. The price tag isn't too shabby, either, making this a great gift for your hubby or boyfriend! (SOURCE).
Got a man who loves to grill? Don't let the early evenings deter him from cooking out. This grill light attaches to the grill's handle, so it flips down when the grill is open, thus giving him light to cook by! (SOURCE).
Give him a classic look with this traditional Navy Pea Coat. He will wear this for YEARS, and the quality from J. Crew will withstand. It's on sale right now for an absolute STEAL. I just bought this for Bobby as his early Christmas gift (he needed one) and he loves it. Warm, but not too bulky, and stylish yet classic. (SOURCE).
Sleep pants. What guy doesn't like to lounge? The appeal to these is that they are material that are like hospital scrubs and don't cling or get too hot. The drawstring waist makes them comfortable. The blue is classic, in case you can't get your man into Puppy Dog Critter Flannel plants. (SOURCE).
Does your man love Mad Men as much as you do? Bobby and I have become attached to that show (not the most moral show, but MAN, I love the clothes and style!). Have your man sip Don Draper style with these silver-rimmed double Old Fashioned tumbler glasses, just like the ones from the show. How great would these look on a bar at Christmas?! If you want real vintage glasses from the 1960's, try Etsy.com. They have a lot of sets! (SOURCE).
There you have it! Have you finished your Christmas shopping yet? I'm about 75% of the way there. Living in the country forces me to shop online. Over the 3 years I've had to do this, online retailers are offering online shoppers some really awesome deals...sometimes even better in the store. I always Google "Coupon Codes for __________" (insert any store name) to find free shipping or a percentage off my order. Most of the time, I can always find something for an even better deal! What are you Christmas shopping tricks?! Are you the shopper who is finished by Halloween?!











1 comment:
That ornament just made me do a double take :)
Post a Comment