Whew.
Although I could feel that there was not only unnatural amounts of salt water up my nose, but now also sand.
I had flashbacks of the first time my Dad took me in the waves. I've never gotten over the fear of the ocean, and specifically, its waves. Perhaps it had something to do with the sand up my nose. My deep-rooted fear is probably why I don't touch the bottom of the ocean with my feet. Even when it's 1.5 feet deep, I swim in as far as I can.
Just in case. You never know what's swimming beneath you: sharks, pebbles, jellies, small children with enormous scuba masks.
All of this is irrelevant in Hawaii, by the way. I'm just sayin.'
So, despite my surfing efforts, my itch to learn how to surf with the cool kids has utterly been satisfied. Never to itch again. Thanks to my helpful teacher, Joe, who took me in after my first - and only - spill... only 10 minutes into it. I know, I know...hard core.
Over the long Labor Day weekend, another couple joined me and Bobby to Ocean City. It was a gorgeous weekend, and after a shopping-filled day at the outlets, the four of us packed up and headed to Assateague Island beach, where we spent the day, surfing and whatnot. I read through half of a book, took about 5 naps, and left looking like a poached beet. Did I mention I'm allergic to sunscreen? Remember the Sun screeen Rash of 2007 on my Honeymoon? Well, we didn't want that to re-appear, so we steered clear. HA.
Here it is...documented by my loving husband. See? The first picture, I'm so excited that a wave is coming!! Actually, I was scared to death, but that's when Joe said to paddle as fast as I could. I have balance problems, so I kept coming off the board. I think I'm going to make it!! Oh, and the third picture, the wave got the best of me... until the last picture, which is where I'm upside down, getting served by the wave.
But, somehow I made it out alive...and LOOK! I'm actually smiling!
Some random horses strolling along the beach. I think they were twitterpating.
They are just beautiful animals...
Hey Bobby.
On the road to Assateague. Isn't is gorgeous? I love the long line of trees.
The sun was so golden over this field. Just beautiful!

I felt so "Endless Summer" on the drive back. The surfboards were on top of the car and I caught the shadow. Don't look at this picture for too long...it'll make you dizzy.

Have a great week!







2 comments:
Love your photos of Assateague!!!
Beautiful beach pics! I have mom mom's painting of the beach fence in my bedroom, it's my favorite! By the way, they are pony's not horses... horses are much taller/bigger. That's so cool they were randomly on the beach though! You should have tried to chase them down to ride them!
Post a Comment