Sorry Baby. (Please take note of Bobby's face as he expresses pure disdain for our furry room mate).
Nope, remember this thing? This was the first thing I wanted to change when we moved in.
It fell down the list a few times before we "took care of it."
I hated it so much, it went down to the basement and hung itself. Get it? Ha. Ha.
Moving On! So, since I couldn't find a chandelier that a) wasn't $39,050 and b) I actually liked, I decided to take matters into my own hands. A DIY was just what this ugly fixture needed. A little love.
So, I went to Lowes. By myself. I picked up some Hammered-finish, "wrought iron" look Spray Paint, 9 globe-style light bulbs, and a swiffer to remove the piles of dust from the polished brass. Let's get started!
Go back to Lowes because you got the wrong sized end for the light bulbs. Oh, what? You got the right size? Well, still. Go back to Lowes. It will make me feel better about myself.



No go ahead and hang it again where it belongs.
Play with the dimmer 7930587 times, and marvel at how the ugly disappeared.


It fell down the list a few times before we "took care of it."
I hated it so much, it went down to the basement and hung itself. Get it? Ha. Ha.
Moving On! So, since I couldn't find a chandelier that a) wasn't $39,050 and b) I actually liked, I decided to take matters into my own hands. A DIY was just what this ugly fixture needed. A little love.
So, I went to Lowes. By myself. I picked up some Hammered-finish, "wrought iron" look Spray Paint, 9 globe-style light bulbs, and a swiffer to remove the piles of dust from the polished brass. Let's get started!
Go back to Lowes because you got the wrong sized end for the light bulbs. Oh, what? You got the right size? Well, still. Go back to Lowes. It will make me feel better about myself.

Next, Swiffer the heck out of your chandelier. Dust Bunnies are no fun to look at when eating dinner. Then, go ahead and give the spray paint can a good shake. OPEN A WINDOW. Suffocate yourself in the basement. And then give the chandelier a good, thorough painting.
Now, go ahead and hang the chandelier where it belongs.
Realize that you forgot to spray the entire bottom of the chandelier. Then take it down and hit it again with the spray paint.
Wait 24 Hours for it to dry completely. And VOILA!
Now, go ahead and hang the chandelier where it belongs.
Realize that you forgot to spray the entire bottom of the chandelier. Then take it down and hit it again with the spray paint.
Wait 24 Hours for it to dry completely. And VOILA!

See the lovely, unique hammered finish without having to hammer anything? That's my kind of work!

No go ahead and hang it again where it belongs.
Play with the dimmer 7930587 times, and marvel at how the ugly disappeared.

Then don't compare to the image I was going for in my beloved Pottery Barn catalog. This is the Edison and it costs precisely 7 times what it cost me to make-over my hideous polished brass chandelier.

$40 or $300?? Mine may be upside-down, but I'll take $40 for now. Thank you!
Cha-Ching! And we have Undone the Ugly.
Cha-Ching! And we have Undone the Ugly.



3 comments:
Great work! I love the finished project! I am very impressed, you are very handy! Want to come hang pictures for me and paint a bathroom?
Mr. Edison looks like something out of the Matrix! Haha. Nice work, but I would file a complaint at Lowe's for charging $40 for spray paint and bulbs! Yowza!
Great "idea" Melissa.....wink. I love the hammered look!! Can't wait to see the whole room!!
Post a Comment